Castle Square – Krakow suburb – the. New world – Three Crosses Square – Aleje Ujazdowskie – Belweder
The Royal Route is the popular name of the route leading from the Royal Castle to the Royal Łazienki Park. It has approx. 6 km long, and to overcome it with a cursory tour should be allocated to 6 hours.
We start our journey from the Castle Square, from where we go to Krakowskie Przedmieście – the first episode of the Royal Route. At the end of the street, on the right is John's late baroque tenement house (Krakowskie Przedmieście no 89) built in the 18th century. and rebuilt several times. From 1909 r. it was in the possession of Alexander John. It has three storeys and is covered with a mansard roof with dormers. After the destruction during the Warsaw Uprising, it was rebuilt, and the basic iconographic material used for its reconstruction was a precisely painted painting by Bernard Bellotto Canaletto "Castle Square". Inside the tenement house there are escalators leading to the W-Z Route running through the tunnel under the Castle Square. This tenement house and the neighboring Prażmowski tenement house are the seat of the Polish Writers' Union.
Church of. st. Anna in Warsaw
Opposite the tenement house, also at the end of Krakowskie Przedmieście, there is an academic one (has performed this function since 1928 r.) church of. st. Anna. It was funded by 1454 r. by Princess Anna Holszańska (then the widow of the Mazovian prince Bolesław) for the Bernardines brought here. The church and monastery were rebuilt many times. The church is a Gothic-Baroque building with a magnificent Classicist façade, designed by Christian Piotr Aigner, made in years 1786-88, decorated in niches with figures of evangelists made by Jacob Monaldi. Single-aisle with a separate, chancel closed with polygons and adjacent to the left side of the nave: Kryski's chapel (ob. pw. blessed. Ładysława from Gielniów – patron saint of Warsaw; his relics rest here) built in 1620 r. and the chapel of the Virgin Mary of Loreto from the years 1832-37 erected for the miraculous statue of Matjg transferred here from the Bernardine church in Praga, Divine. The interior of the nave and Kryski's chapel is covered with illusionist paintings made in the mid. XVIII w. by Bernardine Walenty Zebrowski (largely reconstructed). Inside, there is a complex of rococo altars and inlaid confessionals. The corridor connecting the church and the monastery has a gothic diamond vault. A plaque on the facade of the church commemorates the meeting of Pope John Paul II with young people, held in front of the church of St. 1979 r. In the vicinity of the church there is a brick belfry with 1582 r., rebuilt in the years 1820-21, ob. also used as a viewing point.
Behind the church, on the left side of Krakowskie Przedmieście (under no. 66) former classicistic Guardhouse, with an arcaded facade, built in the years 1818-21 according to the design. Christian Piotr Aigner, rebuilt in 1884 r. In this building in the years 1870-84 it housed the Society for the Encouragement of Fine Arts, in years 1890-91 Maria Skłodowska-Curie had her physics studio here – two-time winner of the Nobel Prize (this is commemorated by the plaque from 1935 r.), a w 1906 r. The Polish Sightseeing Society was founded (this is commemorated by the plaque from 1981 r.).