A town on the right bank of the Vistula, to the south. on the edge of the Płońsk Upland, ok. 3600 inhabited, seat of the commune office. There are numerous plantations of fruit trees and shrubs in the vicinity, as well as growing onions and cucumbers.
Traces of settlement from the Neolithic era (4000-1700 years BC). Mentioned as Zacrocyn in 1065 r. An early medieval defensive stronghold, then, separated from it by a moat, a market settlement in the borough was established at the crossing over the Vistula below the mouth of the Narew. Mentioned in 1065 r. From the 12th century. the seat of the castellany and an important trade center for Mazovia, especially grain, wood, hides and honey, and later also beer and salt. The location of the city probably before 1373 r. (according to some sources, in 1422 r.). In years 1374-1795 the capital of the Zakroczym region. During this period, in the East. the residence of the dukes of Masovia was built from the square (brick cellars preserved). W XIV-XVI w. the center for shaping the legislation in Mazovia and the place where municipal and land courts are held. A place of several dozen meetings of Masovian dignitaries, local councils, a po 1526 r. legislative assemblies. W 1526 r. the city and the entire Zakroczym region are incorporated into the Crown. Gradual decline from 2 half. XVII w. caused by the destruction during the fights with the Swedes in 1656 r., requisitions related to the almost two-year stay of Swedish troops in nearby Modlin and the development of a competitive urban center in Warsaw. From 1795 r. in the Prussian partition. In years 1807-15 Duchy of Warsaw. At that time, the allied Polish and French troops passed through the city several times. W 1813 r. Zakroczym was occupied by the Russian army besieging Modlin. Then to 1918 r. in the Kingdom of Poland. Po 1835 r. revival related to the construction of the Modlin fortress. In September 1831 r. place 5 meetings and debates of the government and the insurgent parliament. Here the insurgent decoration "Star of Perseverance" was established.
"Star of Perseverance", also known as the "Zakroczym Star", was to be given to the tireless participants of the Polish-Russian war 1831 r. It had the form of a five-pointed star with a date 1831, with the coats of arms of Poland and Lithuania and the inscription "Usque ad finem" (till the end). It was to be the only honorary decoration for participation in this war, having the rank of an order. However, only after almost 50 years they were given to the first people. W 1880 r. the board of the Polish National Museum in Rapperswil (Switzerland) struck the medal and handed it over 5 Uprising veterans. W 1981 r. po 150 years after the award was established in Warsaw, the chapter of the Order of the Iron Star of Perseverance was established, which, by maintaining the tradition of the award, distinguishes people of particular merit in the fight for Polish independence. So far, they have been awarded, inter alia,: Romuald Traugutt, Józef Piłsudski, Home Army generals, Father Ignacy Skorupka, rtm. Witold Pilecki, Warsaw insurgents.